Uncharted Waters is committed to a life cycle-ministry career development approach to ministry.
Vocational sports ministry usually begins in young adulthood and, if developed properly, can extend throughout life.
There are two continuums in everyone’s life: how you develop as a person and how you develop as a minister of the gospel. If a ministry does not care and prepare its people to move through the various cycles of life and grow in their development as a minister, the ministry will lose the most valuable asset it has, its people. UW strives to help their missionary staff to grow through these stages.
UW has a high value on both formal and informal education.
The following structure is what UW enacts to attempt to help meet the member care and training needs of its staff:
- A Full Interview Process – This examines the call of God on the individual or couple or family into ministry with UW. This process usually takes 3-6 months so that the best chance of success going forward is given. Once the determination is made to go forward, more training and care is added, beginning with things like candidate schools and fundraising training.
- Partnership Development – UW cooperates with Kingdom Come Training to teach Biblical principles and concepts about creating a sending team. Each approved candidate completes a three week online course and has the structure in place to monitor and encourage the candidate through to full assignment.
- Candidate School I – This is a three-day seminar led by the staff at the VTAC office with input from existing leadership from throughout the ministry. During these three days, the candidates work through things like their calling to ministry, the main structures of UW Sports Ministry, understanding of the donor model of support, and vision casting with a strong prayer and spiritual formation component.
- Candidate School II – This School is built on an individual missionary basis and enables candidate to finish the steps to full assignment. The process of getting to full assignment is clearly outlined physically, financially, and structurally. UW Policies are reviewed and a clear plan is agreed upon for going forward. Continuation of a spiritual formation plan and prayer component is added to help create the sense of unity in building a ministry together.
- Retreats and Conferences- UW is a foundational partner in the REACHgathering, a professional conference of sports ministers and also creates training and spiritual retreats for the UW staff to continue to build a ministry and personal career future.
To be credible with churches and their leaders, a Master’s education in ministry is required in the 21st century. Further ministerial educational pursuits are encouraged by UW and time is allotted for ministry education within the work load of the UW Missionary.
If you are interested in joining our training, please fill out our survey here.